Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Hello world...

After my birth I was so excited to finally be out in the real world! I heard the familiar voices of my mother and father, even my grandparents and cousins. My father cradled me and kissed my head, I knew at once that I am truly loved. But before I had a chance to get too comfortable I was whisked away to the nursery for my first check up.

When I arrived in the nursery I was a little scared. The lights, sounds, pokes and prods kept me alert and even a little cranky. During my checkup the nurse determined that I still had fluid in my lungs and that I would need to receive oxygen to help “dry” me out. Lots of fancy words like, transient tachypnea, O2 Saturation and pulse-oximetry were mumbled above me and the next thing you know I was admitted to the level-two nursery.

The next morning, I was feeling much better, but the nurses still needed to monitor me for at least 48 hours. Mom and dad came to see me often, and the nurses let my grandparents visit me too. On Saturday afternoon, I was finally able to leave the nursery and stay with mom and dad in their room. I was much more comfortable and very happy. At this point, I thought I was homeward bound until more fancy words were being tossed around. It turns out that my bilirubin level was high and I had developed jaundice. Before I knew it I was wrapped up in a glowing “Biliblanket” and nicknamed Glow Worm. What next?!

After a full day of glowing I was finally headed home on Memorial Day. What an experience! I hope my dad has good insurance.

No comments: