Saturday, July 04, 2009

Vacation details


H: Overall, I had a very nice time in beautiful San Diego. I am certainly a homebody though, and after about 3 days I was asking frequently to return home, to my bed, my toys. We arrived, ate lunch at our resort and swam in two different swimming pools on day 1. The weather was beautiful - low to mid 70's which is great except when you want to be in the water, which was rather cold. I didn't mind too much though.

S: I on the other hand am not such a homebody and was excited about the prospect of a new place to explore. At lunch I basically refused to sit in my high chair, which ended up being a recurrent theme with me our entire visit. I thought the pool water was very cold but still had fun and enjoyed the hot tub even better. I love being in the water and have no fear whatsoever, seemingly ready to take off swimming on my own (in stark contrast to the fears of my big sister).

H: Day 2 we went to the San Diego Zoo! We rode a neat bus all around the zoo first to check everything out. We visited a orangatang who jumped right up to the glass to have a word with me, saw panda bears, elephants, giraffes and a hippopotamus who was sleeping under water. Just as I approached the hippo, pressing my face against the glass tank, he woke up! What a surprise to me, as I let out a pretty good scream.

S: I rode in the stroller most of the time at the zoo but could still see most of the animals. I ate lots of snacks and enjoyed the cool breeze and sun-blocking canopy. My favorite animals were the monkeys and gorillas and spoke to them in my aaahhhh aaahhhh aaahhhh voice. We even rode on the Skyfair arial tram high above the ground.

After nap time, Joaquin, Haley and I played for a long time in the sand together. Later, we saw grandpa, eric and kelsey drive by on a jet ski and Kylie, Caysen, Grandma and Aunt Vanessa on a paddle boat. The paddle boat came to shore and Haley and Dada went for a ride on it. We washed the sand off and made a quick trip to Target, than returned back to eat some KFC and dance - which you may have witnessed in the previous video. I am quite a good dancer and have some serious moves which were not completely documented in the video. Maybe mama will take a different one of me dancing soon so you can see what I mean.

H: The next day was beach day. We went to Mission Beach and set up close to the sand volleyball courts so that the big people could play. I began complaining that my arm hurt and spent much of my beach time laying on a towel in the sand with grandma. Toward the end of our visit I finally ventured out to the ocean, played in the sand, stuck my feet in the water and when we were ready to go, didn't want to leave. There was a surprising amount of seaweed and seagrass washing up from the ocean and I was very curious about it. Later grandma and grandpa rented a cool bicycle cart and we took a leisurely ride around the resort.

S: I had a fantastic time at the beach. I built and knocked over dozens of sandcastles with Joaquin and ended up with sand all over myself. I wasn't a huge fan of getting too close to the ocean but did stick my feet in a bit. I fell asleep in the car on the way home, largely due to a detour that involved 6 large pizzas - some of the best we've tasted. I didn't want to continue my nap at the hotel so I went to the swimming pool with mom, dad and the Tallman's while Haley napped. My short min. car nap made for a long day and plenty of fussing later. Luckily, every night I slept well, although I am used to sleeping 13 hours at night I was only getting about 9-10 in SD. Haley and I woke up rather early each day. At night we went to Old Town for dinner. I was not at all my usual self. Mama discovered upon returning home that I am very close to getting one of my molars. This is odd, however, considering that I only have 2 teeth on the bottom...one would think that I would have at least 4 well before any sign of molars emerging. Mama's college friend Jenny met us for dinner and we also celebrated Aunt Priscilla's birthday. After dinner we found a cute candy store and I was given a large delicious lollipop which cheered me up imediately so that we could do some shopping.

H: Sunday was probably my favorite day. We woke up and went to breakfast by ourselves and enjoyed some delicious waffles and french toast. Mom & Dad's navigation on their cell phones had resturant reviews and recommendations so we were constantly eating great food and were thankfully never lost. We hung out with the Tallman's, took naps and later went to the beach by the Nothnagels bungalow at the resort.

S: At night we went to a yummy resturant at Mission beach. There was a long wait but we were entertained by some guys playing with and throwing fire on the beach. I ate some steak and ended up falling asleep in mama's arms at the resturant, continued sleeping in the car and stayed asleep all night - I must have been exhausted. Haley and I had no idea that mama and dada later sneaked out for a date, leaving us with grandma and grandpa who kept an eye on us from their ajoining bungalow.
H: The last day we woke up early, packed, ate a delicious, fifty dollar breakfast at the resort and relaxed. I was happy to hear that it was airplane day. We spent a lot of time hanging out with the many ducks who live in the many ponds at the resort. We visited them daily but today we went to the gift shop to buy them some sepcial duck food which they ate out of my hand. We also rented a bicycle again and hung out with the family.

S: I was able to ride the bicycle this time too and I loved it! I enjoyed wearing the helmet and seeing more of the resort with Kylie in the driver's seat. I was mildly afraid of the ducks which is a recurrent fear of mine regarding many different animals - especially because one of them tried to steal my cereal! I was glad to be leaving and was not going to miss the uncomfortable pack & play I slept in. We really had a nice time and although it was worlds away from the vacation that mama and dada so desperately needed they had fun too. San Diego is just beautiful and we hope to go back someday and do a few things we didn't have time for. We stayed very busy but also requied a lot of down time in between activities, making it difficult to pack in too many adventures. Grandma and Grandpa are alrerady talking about a "vacation" next year to Hawaii but mama and dada may go insane if we attempt that, especially with 3 little princesses instead of only two.

No comments: